We respect the privacy of our customers and process customer personal data in accordance with the Telecommunications Act, the General Data Protection Regulation, and the Implementation Act of the General Data Protection Regulation.
We may process the following personal data from you:
- Contact information (Mr./Ms., (first/last) name, initials, address, house number, postal code, city, telephone number, email address, etc.);
- Demographic information (age, marital status, family composition, etc.);
- Vehicle data (current brand, model, chassis number (VIN), purchase date, service history, etc.);
- Data relating to the purchase and use of Volvo Cars products and services (customer preferences and settings, purchase history, Volvo ID, Customer Portal, etc.).
Vehicle Registered Data
Some Volvo models may also automatically collect Volvo Registered Vehicle Data (as defined above) relating to the vehicle and its surroundings, which particularly concern technical data and data not directly related to you as an individual. Such data is typically linked to the vehicle's chassis number (VIN) and can be traced back to you. This data is collected by Volvo Car and may also be provided to us. The Volvo Registered Vehicle Data that may be processed by us includes:
- Safety information (whether airbags or seat belt tensioners have been activated, whether doors and windows are closed or open, etc.); (
- Status of system functions (engine, accelerator pedal, steering, brakes, etc.);
- Driving data (driving speed, use of brake and accelerator pedal, movement of the steering wheel, etc.).
Information about certain Volvo Registered Vehicle Data can also be found in your vehicle's user manual and may, for example, be provided upon the purchase of a vehicle, in the vehicle's infotainment system, in mobile applications developed by Volvo Car, on www.volvocars.com, or otherwise in an agreement you enter into with Volvo Car. We collect this data, among other things, because you have provided it to us yourself, for example, when entering into an agreement with us or when using our website. If there is a legal or contractual obligation to provide certain data, you will be informed of the potential consequences if they are not provided.
Purposes and Legal Bases for Processing Personal Data
We process your personal data for certain purposes described below. Additionally, the processing of your personal data for these purposes is based on one of the legal bases. These legal bases include consent, necessity for the performance of a contract, or legitimate interest. We use your Customer Data and Volvo Vehicle Registered Data for the following purposes:
- To provide you with Volvo Car products and services, to verify your eligibility for certain purchases and services (legal basis: performance of the contract with you).
- To offer you better deals and user experiences (legal basis: our legitimate interest and, where necessary, your consent).
- To inform you about updates or changes to Volvo Car/our products and services, including but not limited to changes in our terms and conditions and policies (legal basis: performance of the contract with you or our legitimate interest).
- To inform you about new products, services, and events (legal basis: our legitimate interest or, where necessary, your consent).
- To provide support and services for your vehicle (warranty service, safety campaigns, recalls, diagnostics, and troubleshooting during vehicle service and maintenance, etc.) (legal basis: performance of the contract with you or our legitimate interest).
- For product development purposes, such as improving vehicle performance, quality, and safety (legal basis: our legitimate interest or, where necessary, your consent).
- To evaluate and improve our offerings and communication with customers (legal basis: our legitimate interest).
- To comply with legal requirements (legal basis: compliance with legal obligations).
When we process personal data based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time.
Sharing with Others
In certain cases, your data is shared with third parties. We may share data with:
- Companies belonging to the Volvo Car Group and affiliated with Volvo Car Corporation.
- Volvo Car.
- Dealers and authorized repairers affiliated with Volvo Car.
- Suppliers providing services to us.
- Other business partners, to inform you about product and service offers, and other messages, or for research and development purposes.
- A buyer of any Volvo Car-affiliated dealership or authorized repairer or a (business) division thereof.
- A government body or other third party if required by law, for example, due to a government investigation, dispute, or other legal process or request.
- A third party in case the provision of your personal data is necessary to protect our rights, for example, to investigate potential violations of our terms and conditions or to detect, prevent, or disclose fraud or other security issues.
Transfer of your data to the aforementioned third parties will only occur for the purposes stated in this privacy statement and only to the extent permitted under applicable privacy laws and regulations.
Third parties to whom we may disclose your data are themselves responsible for compliance with privacy laws. We are not responsible or liable for the processing of your personal data by these third parties. If third parties are designated as 'processors,' we will enter into adequate written agreements with these 'processors' to ensure careful processing of your personal data.
To provide our services, we may need to transfer your personal data to other countries, whether or not they are members of the European Union, that guarantee an adequate level of protection. When this is the case, we take all necessary measures to lawfully transfer personal data to such countries.
As a data subject, you have the following rights:
- The right to access, meaning you can request access to the personal data we have collected from you.
- The right to rectification or correction of your data.
- The right to erasure of your personal data.
- The right to restriction of processing of your personal data.
- The right to data portability, which means you have the right to receive your data in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format. You also have the right to transmit this data to another controller.
- The right to object to profiling.
- The right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority (Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens).
- The right to withdraw consent.
You can exercise the above rights by submitting a request to:
Made by Sweden
Albert Einsteinstraat 9
7442 DK Nijverdal
Regarding certain requests, we reserve the right to reject your request to the extent permitted by law.
We have implemented appropriate technical and organizational measures to secure your personal data against unauthorized or unlawful processing, as well as against loss, destruction, damage, alteration, or disclosure. These measures ensure an appropriate level of security.
We will not retain your personal data longer than necessary for the purposes for which they were collected unless we are legally required to do so.
We may also provide you with information through the Privacy Statement of Volvo Cars and ourselves. For more information: https://www.volvocars.com/en-nl/legal/privacy/privacy-customer-privacy-policy.